.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Craft Classes + Night Market.

This morning at 9am was our first glass class. We got to stack pieces of colorful glass on top of eachother and the teacher has a technique where he uses this a special patented mini-kiln [made of plaster], places the stacks inside and puts it all inside the microwave. The mini-kiln allows the microwave to heat up above usual temperatures and actually melt the glass, forming a small charm-like gem. I have so many necklaces similar to these, so it was so much fun seeing the process! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Next we sculpted clay into designs, which will be used to create molds of plaster + and then pour in the molten glass. These craft classes really take me back to high school, hands on creativity, not just sketching and computer models and posters. So free. I dont care about the grade. I want to do what makes me happy and create what I think is beautiful... grading is so subjective anyway!

We broke for lunch and headed to metal shop, where they have some of the most impressive jewelry on display! I wish I could just stay here and learn how to do it all!

The assignment was to sketch a dragon and glue the sketch onto a small square of copper sheet. Then, with a hand saw, saw around the
entire sketch. It doesn't sound tiring, but believe me... I had to take a nap afterwards! It turned out pretty neat!




Hard at work--- Look at those awesome goggles!





















We just got back from Kaohsiung City's night market. I just have to say, the Taiwanese are some of the most friendly + caring people you may ever meet! They always make sure that we are safe, and will take us wherever we want to go. There are so many things to choose from at the night market, between clothing, food, accessories... etc. I'm happy to say I found some fun souvenirs for friends and family!
:)





Here is a video of some crazy lady [the one and only rude Taiwanese person in the country] that was harassing us in the subway from Taipei. Tin man video taped her. She basically said, the West isn't the best anymore. And that it's America's fault that the economy is so bad here. We assume that she was appart of the protest going on against the current President, right down the street from our hostel... haha.

2 comments:

  1. Wowza mill i'm so jealous of your trip!!!!! Impressive job on your dragon girlie- hand saw on metal can be a bit of a bitch :) - did your blade break on you at all? Oooo that just reminds me of Uarts.

    Keep living it girlie xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of you with the goggles on- it should be your new profile pic ;-) Have extra fun for me, I totally wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete