.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Move-in Day

We woke up at 6am. No kidding. Not on purpose, or because we had to.... just a little bit of jetlag still.


We moved into the dorm today and some noticeable differences are the wash basins for scrubbing clothes by hand because there is only 1 washing machine for each floor, which happens to be straight out of the1960's. It's pretty sweet. haha The lights are also timed to go out each night at midnight.

We just got back in from the 7-11 across the street from the university. Today was Nathan's 22nd bday so the whole group + tin man went over and drank a little and had some really good fluffy cupcakes mmm! (I had a heinekin)

We took taxis to the local Supermarket... aka biggest
most random mall/walmart and were followed by all of the Taiwanese students on their scooters, all 40 of them. ha. I spent 1400 NT, roughly 45 bucks on some odds and ends. The students were incredibly helpful, pushing our carts, helping find things, calling taxis and the funniest part...if i went out of their range of sight, they would come running after me, asking what I needed... so nice and friendly.

Kimmy and Julie are the English speakers in my group. They are both very outgoing. As soon as we arrived, they greeted me and gave me a gift! Some SWEET chopsticks! (I've used them twice today) Coolest thing about them... They are designed to be set on the table so
the ends don't touch the table. I've gotten a lot better with using them as the meals go by!

I tried a few different teas today, too! Oolong (tastes like a mixture of coffee and regular tea) and my new favorite is Passion Fruit Green Tea, it's super refreshing. The greatest thing about their cafeterias is the only thing to drink is fresh juice and tea,no soda!


The days so far have been very long, but hopefully once we get into the swing of things and a routine, they will start to go by a bit more quickly. I have wanted so badly to just sit, alone and write about everything I've seen, heard,
done, said, bought, ate...etc.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren I'm so happy that you are having a great time! I'll keep reading you blog I love your writing!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for adding the pictures in your blog! :D It looks like you're off to a fun and exciting start... maybe ill start a "moving in with my parents" blog- but I don't think it would be this interesting! ;-D

    ReplyDelete