.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

36 degrees celcius + a lot of juice.


Today was our first Chinese Painting class. Some seriously challenging stuff... We learned the 8 strokes of writing Chinese characters, the precision it takes is what makes the process so tough. A few Taiwanese girls complemented me as I practiced writing my name. After about 15 times, I got pretty good haha... for a Westerner!

After lunch was the dragon boat festival, which involved absolutely no boats. haha imagine that. Each team was comprised of 5 people, who competed in a series of obstacles
. Before the race each team had to make a dragon head/tail to wear while crouched down in a line, waddling like ducks [appearing to be a dragon body]. all while maneuvering through the course. The winners recieved a few bucks in their pocket. We were then entertained by the school's hip-hop team after the winners were announced.



To kill time during the festival, me and Christina made little diy panda keychains from felt, and put lavender potpourri + stuffing inside. They're adorable. Maybe I can give it to my nephew because it squeaks. At one point, my groupmate Julie pulled me over to this facepainting booth. So, what the hell, lets get my face painted while its 36 degrees Celcius outside haha. As it turns out, the paint was all natural and the writing is to take away pain and give good fortune.



Random comment: Almost everyday, the school has tables set up selling odds and ends [post cards, jewelry, clothing-- all second hand] so I bought this really awesome ring for $4/US, a leather bracelet for $1.50/US and this great scarf for $1.50/US.

Hopefully the rest of the night I will get to relax a little bit. The sun really takes a lot out of me. I'm drinking all the watermelon juice I can get my hands on! mmm.

Ps. I saw a blue sky today for the first time in 2 weeks.

These are two sculptures that are in the center of Shu-Te's campus. I wish Auburn had awesome stuff like this everywhere....



4 comments:

  1. Are you sure your studing??? This trip so far sound like way to much fun! Enjoy it all and take it all in as it may be the last time you get there! Oh and by the way what type of hair cut are you going to get? We hope you're not going to shave your head........Haaaaaaaaaa!

    Love Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl!!! Loving the blog!! So glad to "see" you. Looks like you are having a wonderful time experiencing this new place and learning so many cool things about your craft. Awesome!!! So...our b-day is coming up and in case I don't get to wish you a happy one - here's to you!!! Love you bunches! (PS-will you bring me an inexpensive, unique, piece of jewlery or tea cup/saucer (I collect them)I will pay you when you return. If you cannot, no big deal...I just know I won't be making a trip to Taiwan any time soon. :p)

    Take care! Love you!
    ~Cousin Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Honey, Got to see your site that you posted. It is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Hope you are being safe!!!! You Know me. Gotta make sure my daughter is safe! Even if I am your second mother. Hope all is well. Keep in touch with me.
    You have my e-mail address. I'm only on this cause your Mom and Dad are here and showed me how to do it. But dont think I can do it on my own!!! I love you Sweetheart. Take care and Let me know your safe from time to time. I know your busy but you can e-mail every once in a-while to let me know your safe.
    Your Second Mother
    Rita
    P.S. Mom,Dad & Emily say Hi. Bob says Hi too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they had a dragon boat festival! We used to have one in Nova Scotia... no idea why because there were no Asians there...? But we actually had boats! HA! I'm trying to catch up on all the blogs that my stupid broken computer has made me miss!
    - SRA!

    ReplyDelete