.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Making Rings + Building Models

Today was a busy 13.5 hour day.

In metal, we made rings from copper and brass sheets. First, we had to hand cut strips out of the metal sheet. After sanding and making sure the sides are perfectly smooth and straight, we could etch or add texture to the surface. Etching is a cool concept, but the part I really enjoyed was adding texture. I took coarse sandpaper and pounded it into the surface of one ring... the result, I think, looks sweet. [see left]

I made a few other rings, but for secrecy purposes I'll hold on to them for now. Believe it or not, I actually stayed an extra hour in class trying to make as many as possible! When the design is to your liking, you then smooth it out with the torch, wrap/pound the strip around the sizing rod and finally, join the two ends together with a powder chemical adhesive and solder. A little sanding and buffing, and the ring is complete.




After a quick bite to eat, everyone met up at studio to start building our conceptual scale models. 4 hours of cutting, scoring + gluing foamcore is rarely a grand occasion, but with all of the different people in there, it wasn't that bad at all surprisingly! I started working on 2 out of 3 models.. Tomorrow afternoon/night will be spent finishing everything up for Thursday's Studio.

Time to catch up on some Zzz's.

2 comments:

  1. holla! damn mill how are you bringing all this stuff your making back to the states?!

    - killer ring a ding btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, it sounds like you are too busy to sleep! I'm just amazed at all the cool pictures you post. That place appears to be quite colorful. And that huge snail, wow!

    Hope you are able to get some good rest. Have a great trip to Hong Kong. I'll check in with you later.

    Love,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete